Larry S. King brings to Artec over 40 years of continuous experience in architectural acoustics consulting. His extensive and diverse experience ranges from the 1976 renovation of Yankee Stadium in New York City and Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay, Singapore’s $350 million performing arts center completed in 2002, to the renovations of Alice Tully Hall and the David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center completed in 2009 as well as the recently opened Harpa Concert Hall and Conference Center in Reykjavik, Iceland.
Larry’s background spans the entire range of Artec’s work – starting from the pre-design process and the development of initial design concepts through design and construction and post-opening services. Larry has collaborated with many of the world’s renowned architects, including Philip Johnson, Moshe Safdie, Kevin Roche, Charles Young, Leigh Breslau, Gilles Saucier, and Eberhard Zeidler.
Larry’s love of music and opera has also given him particular sensitivity to the needs of the artists in the design, operation and setting of adjustable acoustics systems. In this capacity he has worked with some of the world’s best known soloists and symphony orchestra conductors, including Leonard Bernstein, Gerre Hancock, John Scott, Richard Goode, Radu Lupu, Jessye Norman, David Robertson, Paavo Järvi, Philippe Herrweghe, Placido Domingo, Jesus Lopez-Cobos, Zdenek Macal, Zubin Mehta, Loren Maazel, Lan Shui, Leonard Slatkin, Lawrence Leighton Smith, Christian Zacharias, David Zinman, and Andre Previn.
Larry keeps abreast of the advances made by the research community in the understanding of architectural acoustics. In the course of his work, he has conducted acoustic measurements during project design as well as in completed facilities, and has lectured and written on acoustics for performing arts spaces and houses of worship. Mentoring the development of younger colleagues is a favorite and challenging sidebar occupation.
Larry’s career in Architectural Acoustics began at Bolt, Beranek & Newman in 1968. He became co-founder of Klepper Marshall King Associates Ltd. in 1972 and joined Artec in 1995. Larry has also held positions at Jaffe Holden Acoustics and as an independent consultant.
Larry holds a Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology and he was also Candidate for M.S. in Electrical Engineering at the University of Rochester.
Larry has authored the following papers:
- Impressions of a Professional Listener", The Absolute Sound, May/June 1987 (an analysis of the 1986 Carnegie Hall renovation).
- "The Virginia Center for the Performing Arts: Acoustical Design", dB, The Sound Engineering Magazine, Jan-Feb 1984 (a description of the acoustical renovation of a 2,000-seat 1920's movie palace into a modern multi-purpose performing arts facility).
Larry's projects experience involves the following:
- CBSO Centre, Birmingham, UK
- Chan Centre for the Performing Arts, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
on Fir Hill, Akron, Ohio, USA
- Coral Springs Center for the Arts, Coral Springs, Florida, USA
- Culture and Congress Centre, Lucerne, Switzerland
- Elstein Music and Arts Center, Zichron Yaákov, Israel
- Esplanade - Theatres on the Bay, Singapore
- Four Rivers Performing
Arts Center, Paducah, Kentucky, USA
- Harpa: Reykjavik Concert Hall and Conference Centre, Reykjavik, Iceland
Theatre, Interlochen Center for the Arts, Interlochen, Michigan,
- Kravis Center for Performing
Arts, West Palm Beach, Florida, USA
- La Maison Symphonique de Montréal, Montréal, Québec, Canada
- Music Room, Lionel Hampton Center, University of Idaho, Moscow, USA
- Newberry Opera House, Newberry, South Carolina, USA
- New Jersey Performing
Arts Center, Newark, New Jersey, USA
- New Testament Church of God, Hamilton, Bermuda
- North Jutland House of
Music, Aalborg, Denmark
- Orpheus Theatre and Congress
Centre, Apeldoorn, Netherlands
- Private Recital Hall and Home Cinema, Palm Beach, Florida
M. Schlesinger Concert Hall and Arts Center, Northern Virginia
Community College, Alexandria, Virginia, USA
- Segerstrom Center for the Arts, Costa Mesa,
Hall, Congress and Concert Centre, Lahti, Finland
- Skirball Center for the Performing Arts, New York University, New York, USA
- St. Thomas Church Fifth Ave, New York, New York, USA
- St. Vincent Ferrer Church, New York, New York, USA
- Studio 4 Maison de la Radio Flagey, Brussels, Belgium
- Schulich School of Music,
McGill University, Montreal, Québec, Canada
- Sony Studios, New York, New York, USA
- Washington Opera, Washington, DC, USA